Thursday, May 8, 2014

Longshadow

Longshadow
18 x 12
My favorite time of the day is right before and just after sunrise when the light is honey colored. The wind is usually still and the birds are just waking up and the shadows are still long. 

This photo from my trip to the Phoenix DBG was just that....long shadows and golden light. Though I can paint for a long time on my cache of photos from that one visit to the DBG, I sometimes find a new painting in a tiny piece of the photo. From this photo - I focused only on the far left - where the morning sun hit the agave and the pathway that winds invitingly to the left and out of the picture.



Initially, I considered naming the painting "Sharp Turn" playing off the agave and the curve in the path. Then as I painted, it was about the Agave and the honey colored sunlight and I considered "Catching Rays". Then..as I wrote this, I came to realize it was all about the light and shadows....so maybe "Longshadow". That's the progression of the naming, here's the progression of the painting. I really liked the light/shadow on the path and the honey light touching the blue agave leaves. Hmm...makes me think of agave nectar....maybe that's another name - "Nectar Light"

Under painting





Sharp Turn  or Catching Rays
Longshadow or Nectar Light
18 x 12


I'm interested to know which name strikes you as most fitting for the painting? 


Thanks for reading and allowing me to share my paintings with you. I hope you enjoy the blog and if you do, please share!

2 comments:

  1. Love those blues in the front plants :D
    Question for you: Do you under paint on your paper with gouache/watercolor? It appears that you under paint. I could be wrong, but I find that fascinating. Care to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shan - thanks for the appreciation of the blues...in the agave that is :). I do under paint. This particular one is blocked in with NuPastel (harder and less expensive), then washed down with alcohol (from the drugstore). The pastel melts beautifully. It helps to fill in big spaces and gives depth to the subject. I find the paintings where I under paint tend to be more "intense". Thanks again for the comments and for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete