Sunday, May 25, 2014

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes, New Mexico and Aspiration

Aspiration
Pastel on Art Spectrum Colourfix
Color - "Elephant" Tone
12 x 9
On my recent trip to Jemez Springs and Santa Fe, New Mexico, I was of course "enchanted" by the Land of Enchantment. Both the natural beauty and man made beauty can be breathtaking. When in Santa Fe, I visited the O'Keefe Museum - not only for education and inspiration, but simply to "be" near the paintings where her hands once were. In college, I  remember being mesmerized by O'Keefe's flowers. Later, I had an opportunity to see an exhibit of her work in San Antonio at the McNey. But to see rooms and galleries full of her work (and Ansel Adams) was beyond words. Most mesmerizing was the area set up to be like her studio. I felt transported in time. She indeed was a woman before her time. She was bold and daring, which is part of the reason I admire not only the art, but the woman herself.


As we walked through Santa Fe, we had hoped to visit the NM Museum of Art, but it was closed that day. Instead, I took a few photos of the gorgeous building itself. So, on to the "Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes". 

I decided to take a departure from my usual botanicals and style and try something new. Taking inspiration from O'Keefe's "Patio Door with Green Leaf" and other adobes, I attempted to take on the NM Museum of Art in a more contemporary way than my usual paintings. I liked the angles O'Keefe presented in her paintings. So, I opened my Sonos App and selected the David Bowie channel on Pandora. Like a sign from above, I was presented with "Changes". So I rocked on and onto the paper. Here is the progression of...

Aspiration


Area of interest
See Yellow Square

Source Photo
Left tower of Museum


Value Drawing and Composition Adjustment


Under painting with Pan Pastel







Be sure to click on the final painting to see the detail in the beams/vigas.
Thank you for reading, watching and sharing with those you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment